Thursday, December 31, 2015

Ringing In A New Year

Well here we are, another year behind us with a new one upon us and I am not at the weight or fitness level I would like to be.  I know I am not alone in this type of struggle and decided to blog about my journey.  While there may be setbacks here and there I am determined to become more fit and take better care of this one and only body I get.

I really started losing the weight challenge as I neared 50.  I will be 53 in March.  Five and three are my favorite numbers so why not make this a fantastic year, right?  In order to have a fantastic year it takes preparation and determination.  

My husband and I vacation in the Caribbean every year over Thanksgiving.  A friend of mine in the fitness industry reached out to me while I was sitting on a beach, drinking rum punch and enjoying fantastic food.  She said that she was starting a group, was now tied to Beachbody and looking for women to join.  I researched the links I was sent and decided the program would be a good way to start 2016.

So, let's fast forward to today.  The celebrations with family and friends are behind us (okay, it is New Years Eve but not really planning a big celebration), guests have departed so time to get ready.  In order to be ready I am applying the "FISH" philosophy.  It is from the Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle that throws fish, engages customers and is successful.  The philosophy is great at work so why not with fitness.  If you are interested in reading more their book is called "Fish Tales".

The great thing about the philosophy is there are only four steps and easy to remember:

Play - Basically play isn't just an activity but a state of mind.  It can help bring new energy and perspective to things.  This is something I think as adults we have lost.  It doesn't have to be structured.  Just because you are having fun doesn't mean you aren't working.  Can't we apply this to fitness?

Make Their Day - When you do something for someone else (even the smallest gesture) you can turn routine encounters into a special memory.  Besides, doesn't it make you feel good? 

Be There - This means being fully present or all in.  It helps fight burnout which can certainly happen when trying to get fit.  Don't be halfhearted.

Choose Your Attitude - You know you have a choice, right?  If you look for the worst you will find it.  You have control over your attitude.  Just because your day started out bad, you fell off your fitness program or something else you have control over your attitude.  Claim it!

Simple, right?  So let's do this and make 2016 a year to remember!






No comments:

Post a Comment